Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia

Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia
Thank You For Visiting

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE
Join the Crime Wave

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl
Join The Kitten Motorcycle Gang

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!
A Real Wild Juan

Baby Formula Juan Racer

Baby Formula Juan Racer
Juan Year Old

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reese's Pieces - The Other Alien

The 1982 film ET prominently featured Reese's Pieces Candy (ET's favorite treat). I guess Reese's couldn't get ET for their ads, so they came up with this alien character as a substitute. In the commercials, this character was portrayed with a puppet and an actor in a costume, just like ET was.

I thought ET was much cuter and more appealing than this creature.

As a kid, I had a stuffed ET that I loved and I was so excited to get it for Christmas. He was stored in the attic years later, and when I found him again, his leather-like skin had cracked off the plush body and peeled away. So if you have an ET doll in your attic, he may have shed his skin!

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty skeazy that Amblin/Universal would use Reese's prominently in the movie and then refuse to license the character in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those leather/vinyl E.T. dolls, but I had forgotten about the Reese's Pieces ads with the alien. I just finished watching a couple of them on YouTube...gee, those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peyton: Yes, I think ET might still be a popular character now if he had been the official mascot of Reese's Pieces. Missed Golden Opportunity!!

    TokyoMagic!: I didn't even think to look on YouTube for these commercials. Gotta check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thing actually predates ET. I saw it in a comic ad from 1973 (I collect old comics)

    ReplyDelete