Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia

Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia
Thank You For Visiting

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE
Join the Crime Wave

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl
Join The Kitten Motorcycle Gang

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!
A Real Wild Juan

Baby Formula Juan Racer

Baby Formula Juan Racer
Juan Year Old

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Disney's Abu Aladdin Ornament From 1992


When Aladdin debuted in 1992, The Disney Store had quite a bit of merchandise tied to the film. As a very young child, I was fascinated and frightened by monkeys (I blame the Flying Monkeys from The Wizard of Oz). The Abu character was originally going to be a dog, but the film's creators wanted to do something different, and have a monkey companion for Aladdin. I'm glad they did this, because Abu is one of my favorite Disney characters.

The "'Twas The Night Before..." line of ornaments were small and made out of resin, and featured a variety of different characters (I know there was one of Piglet, because I gave that to someone as a present).


This ornament is about an inch and a half tall and considering that, it is really a good likeness of the character, and captures his attitude quite nicely.

Abu sold out before I could buy him (Aladdin was a big hit for Disney, as was the merchandise). I got this in 1999 off of Ebay after years of searching.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you care for the Hallmark ornaments or not (I collected them for a while, but stoppped)....there is a pretty good one from 1998 of Iago flying while holding Abu. Genie is also featured on the ornament, desguised as a bumble bee. It can be found pretty easily on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TokyoMagic!: Yes, I have that Hallmark one (it is really nice). Chances are pretty good that if you want something, at some point you will find it on ebay. Ha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is indeed a very nice likeness of Abu. From the photo, it looks like it might be fairly small in size. Roughly what are the dimensions of this ornament?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey A Snow White Sanctum! Yes, this ornament is tiny--Abu is about 1.5 inches tall and 1.5 inches wide. I don't know who sculpted this, but they did a great job.

    ReplyDelete